Surviving a Move to Three Different States...


So, to start I want to give a little background information before I go into what it is like to move to different states. My husband, Jesse, and I are from Arkansas but my husband is in the military, so we have moved to two different places in the passed three years. 

I lived in Arkansas for 21 years, then Jesse and I got married in June of 2015. He finally got his first duty station in March of 2016, and he moved me down to Saint Mary’s, Georgia. We were there for about 3 years. He then got another duty station in Jacksonville, North Carolina and we have been here for about 4 months. 

Now, moving from Arkansas to Georgia was a pain in the booty. My parents helped me pack up all the furniture that we had been given m, and all of mine and Jesse’s belongings. We packed up my entire car, my dad’s truck, and a trailer full. We had a 15 hour drive ahead of us. We bought two tarps to cover what was in the back of the truck and the trailer, just in case it rained. Also, we had one day to pack all this stuff up and get on the road. We finally got on the road and not but two hours into the trip it started to rain, and when I say rain, it poured. I was almost in tears just thinking about my stuff possibly getting wet. We had to stop at least five times to get new tarps because the wind and the rain was destroying the ones we already had. This was a trip from hell. As we were coming down, Jesse was in Georgia trying to find someone with a car to drive him to the apartment complex’s that were around the area to find us a place. Yeah I was coming down with all this stuff and we didn’t even have a place to live yet. He finally found a place and while we were driving down, I was signing paperwork over the phone and all that good stuff so that we could get in the apartment as soon as we got there. 

This was some of our stuff packed up ready to go to Georgia

I was so excited because it was our first place together. The hardest part about moving to Georgia meant that I was leaving my family and friends back home. Saying goodbye to my mom, dad, and brother was the hardest thing I have ever done. My family and I are real close, and this was the first time I was moving out of the house. 
Our First Place 

Living in Georgia was so much different than living in Arkansas, because the weather was completely different, and there was a beach probably 10 or 20 minutes from where we lived. We had our first hurricane experience ever. So many good memories happened in Georgia. We got our two dogs, Josie and Achilles. We finally got to where Georgia was starting to feel like home, and we had made a ton of really good friends. I met one of my best friends, Jocellyne, living in Georgia. Then it was time for Jesse to get a new duty station and they were sending him to Jacksonville, North Carolina. 

We were ready to move only because we were tired of living in the apartment that we had in Georgia, but I was not ready to leave my friends and my job. I loved being in Georgia. Leaving Georgia wasn’t easy but I didn’t realize how hard it was until we got to North Carolina. 

Moving to North Carolina was a little less stressful, but still stressful. We didn’t have to move ourselves-we had movers come to the house and pack everything up and move it to storage in North Carolina (thank you military). We then packed up our belongings that we were taking to Arkansas for two weeks and drove our two vehicles to Arkansas. We took a little vacation back home and then at the end of September, we headed to North Carolina. Yet again we didn’t have a place until the drive down because the recent hurricane that hit North Carolina caused finding a place to live to be very hard, but we finally found a place and Jesse set everything up on the drive down there. 

Our place in North Carolina (with my one and only halloween decoration) 

We had to wait a week to get our furniture when we got to the house so we slept on the floor and watched tv on our computer it was fun for two days but after two nights of sleeping on the floor we were very cranky. When we finally got our furniture our couch was broken and we were missing some stuff so that sucked but we expected it because we did a lot of research on moving with the military and we read some horror stories so in my opinion we got pretty lucky.  We have only been in Jacksonville for about 4 months and we don’t really care too much for it so much has happened for the worst here and we thought that this would be so much better than Georgia but we miss Georgia and Arkansas so much being here. I remember the first month being really hard especially when Jesse would have to go to work and I would be home all day with just the dogs and I really struggled with having no friends or family around. I would lay in bed and just cry feeling so lonely and lost in a place I didn't know. Thank God I had Jesse because I couldn't imagine being here completely alone. 

This was our bedroom where we had no furniture and in the left corner was where we slept for a week. 
This our living room and the one chair we had was a outdoor chair and we set up a little place to put our computer so we could watch Netflix. 
I could not imagine Jesse doing the military as a career because moving every two years does not sound fun. You finally get settled in one state and get used to living there and then you have to pack up everything and move to a whole new state, and learn everything about that place, and make new friends, and find a new job (which has been a nightmare might I add). We can’t wait for our next move because it will be to go back to Arkansas and it will be forever. I am so grateful for the military and all the things that we have gotten to experience while he has been in. It will make you appreciate your hometown and being back home with family. 


If you have experienced a move military or not let me know in the comments below, and if you have any questions about moving or anything let me know. Stay Awesome. Stay Southern. Stay Beautiful. 

Comments

  1. Jocellyne and I slept on the closet floor the first time we moved in to park place. Had a bed delivered the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the worst week of my life. I was so happy to finally get my bed from the movers.

      Delete

Post a Comment